Thursday, September 24, 2015

Rules

I wish I could have made and enforced these rules when I was 5.  I couldn't.  But I can now.

1)  No yelling or screaming at me.  I never yell or scream at you - afford me the same civil courtesy.  Address me with respect.

2)  No putting me down - directly or stealthily.    This includes no rolling eyes, gasping, etc.   If I feel the putdown it is a putdown regardless if you claim I am too sensitive, it wasn't what you meant, etc. etc.    A putdown is a putdown even if my own my justifies your behavior.  A putdown is a putdown.  Address me with respect.

3)  No walking away to settle a dispute.  Walking away is a statement that you find me in contempt of your graces.  I have never done anything nor will worthy of that type of treatment.  End a conversation with "what do you want out of my life" is shutting me down.  That is the same as walking away.  Don't walk away.  Stay and settle our differences respectfully.

4)  I will hear you first.  I will listen with patience and respect.  When you are done, you listen to me (without interrupting, rolling your eyes, gasping or other gestures) with respect.

5)  Do not yell or put down or walk away or not listen to anyone I love in front of me.  This includes my mother, my sister and my children.  They too deserve to be respected.

I am no better than you.  I am no worse than you.  But I certainly deserve the same courtesies and respect you command  and expect of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment